Making a Comment, Compliment or Complaint

Options available for contacting us with your feedback and complaints

  • In Person: Talk to any member of HSE staff, service manager or complaints officer
  • Online Form: Send your complaint securely through the online feedback form
  • By Email: E-mail with your feedback.
  • By Letter: Send a letter or fax to any HSE location. Staff can help you put your complaint in writing, if you require assistance.
  • By Feedback form: Complete a Feedback form, available at most HSE Reception areas, and leave it in the identified areas provided by the local service you are using or visiting.  You may also give it to a member of staff or ask a staff member for an address.
    The form is also available online in 9 languages
  • Ring us: LoCall 1890 424 555: Your call will be answered by a staff member from the National Complaints Governance and Learning Team.
  • Contact our Confidential Recipient for Vulnerable Persons (any vulnerable person receiving residential care in a HSE or HSE funded facility ), Leigh Gath, LoCall 1890 100 014 Mobile 087 6657269
  • Through Advocacy Services: Contact an Advocacy Service.
  • National Specialist in Accessibility: The HSE has appointed a National Specialist in Accessibility who will provide guidance, advice and strategic support in the promotion of access for people with disabilities. The purpose of the role is also to develop a strategic framework for the implementation of Part 3 of the Disability Act 2005 in the HSE.


Your Complaint


What do I need to include in my complaint?

A written complaint should include:

  • Who was involved?
  • What happened and when?
  • What are you concerned about?
  • Have you done anything else to resolve this matter?
  • What do you want to happen now?

It will also assist the Complaints Officer if any extra information and/or copies of other relevant documents are attached to your written complaint.


What will happen next?

In the case of a comment or a compliment:

  • We will send you a letter of acknowledgement if contact details are provided. All comments or compliments will be forwarded to the relevant service or staff member.
  • A verbal complaint will be acknowledged as soon as possible be the relevant staff member.
  • A written complaint will be acknowledged by a complaints officer in writing within five working days.


How long will it take the complaints officer to look into my complaint?

  • The complaints officer will look into your complaint within 30 working days of the date when it was acknowledged.
  • If it takes longer to look into all the issues raised in your complaint the complaints officer will notify you within thirty working days and will give you an update on what is happening every twenty working days after that.


What do I do if I am not satisfied with the recommendations made by the complaints officer or the way my complaint was dealt with?

You will be advised in the response to your complaint of the process for requesting a review..

Or you may wish to make a complaint directly to the Office of the Ombudsman or Ombudsman for Children:

Office of the Ombudsman

(9.15am -5.00pm Monday - Friday)

18 Lower Leeson Street,
Dublin 2.
Phone: 01 6395600

Ombudsman for Children's Office

(9.15 - 5.30 from Monday - Thursday, and 9.15 - 5.15 Friday)

Millennium House
52-56 Great Strand Street
Dublin 1.
Free-phone: 1800 20 20 40
Phone: 01 865 6800


Still unsure how to make a complaint?

If you are still not sure how to make a complaint to the HSE please contact us at the National Complaints Governance and Learning Team and we can assist you in making your complaint.

Ring LoCall number:   1890 424 555